Jul 2, 2026

Layer III; Playing an instrument and Consumerism - Gear Acquisition Syndrome

I play an electric bass, and lately I have been experiencing what the internet seem to call "GAS", or "Gear Acquisition Syndrome". What I mean is that, lately, I've been very tempted to buy more and more equipment for my bass playing.

This experience is shared among many internet users, and I've come to accept that I'm not immune to it. During last summer I upgraded my bass (now I've got an Ibanez SR300E) and my amp (which is a Peavey TKO115-S). Also bought an EQD Hizumitas fuzz pedal, which is kinda overkill but also really fun (I love Boris, so it was a no-brainer for me). For now at least, this should be my endgame, because I live in an apartment and can´t play any louder. Yet I feel this need of buying more equipment.

So there is this need of buying more and more gear even though is completely unnecessary. I love how my rig sounds, yet I feel there is something missing. Seems like the tone chasing will never end.

Anyways, maybe I should stop watching those demos of boutique Doom Metal pedals, they probably are the source of the problem. I mean, most of them just end up being ads in disguise lmao.


 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment